A colourful fashion blog supporting independents & sustainable fashion in Bristol and beyond since 2011

Thursday 10 May 2018

Double whammy fashion extravaganza

I've been saying it all week but Bristol's has really gone to town with fashion events this spring. I seem to be attending events every week these days, which is great but two in one evening? I saw it as challenge and took it on!

Dressed up in striped pirate trousers, Adidas gazelles, retro Adidas kids jacket, Tezla earrings and my Lazy Oaf Mermaid top with shell boob appliques, I was ready to tackle this night, one fashion event at a time...


Yeah, fashion ready!


The first event took place at Rhubarb Jumble which is situated on the super-cool North Street in Bristol. This vintage boutique is full of retro gems and vintage garms from the 40s to the 90s that are all sourced by the owner Amy Hamilton, who has managed to turn a clothes hoarding obsession into a successful fashion business.

Amy Hamilton wearing the most fantastic red vintage jumpsuit from Rhubard Jumble! Want! 


This particular event was to exclusively show off their new selection of Spring garments that featured kitsch dresses, abstract floral shirts and 90s denims, plus lots of quirky pieces and vintage oddities from homewares to furniture that Amy had upcycled herself.



Rhubarb Jumble staff picks and an amazing vintage print shirt that was sadly too small for me! 

To keep things fresh, the stock is rotated and updated regularly with new vintage pieces and gems meaning each time you visit the stock will have completely changed so each time you visit Rhubarb Jumble you get to start the search for hidden goodies all over again! The fun never ends!
 If you are a vintage fan get yourself down to Rhubarb Jumble and find your dream vintage item for this spring!

You will get to hear more about my visit to the Rhubarb Jumble Spring Launch up on Bristol 24/7 online shortly.

Local Independent designer garms at That Thing Festival Edition 2018


Second event of the night on Thursday 3 May was the That Thing Festival Edition 2018 as part of their Independent Designer Showcase event. That Thing always has a buzz, the crowd was completely different to the Rhubarb Jumble fashion event and that's what I love about Bristol, there is always so much going on! In under 30 minutes I had moved from a sweet, vintage space to a bangin party of festival lovers, fashionistas and independent designers, there were DJs and rails of festival and streetwear garms!



Although I do love vintage, especially oddities and homewares, my style is definitely more at home in That Thing, I have to admit I am also more involved with this scene, this is my area of Bristol, I love Joh Rindom and the That Thing girls and know so many of the amazing Bristol designers who create garms for the shop, that I felt right at home at this event.

Independent festival fashion from designers including Manners, Neat Frontage and Kuccia

Joh, the owner and a fashion designer at That Thing, supports so many independent fashion and accessory designers including Zedhead Headwear, Neat Frontage, Tezla Designs, Dulcie's Feathers and Duvet Days who are all Bristol creatives, That Thing also stock another No Debutante fave Kuccia.



I had been on a buying cull, refusing to buy from the high street just because, so I have been saving myself for these types of events to get me some super-cool threads, handmade by local designers.
I instantly fell in love with some stripy trousers by Duvet Days (yep, they are made out of retro duvet covers - sustainable and sassy) when their creator Emma White said she could knock me a matching top, I was sold. I will reveal the whole co-ord in a future post!


The adorable That Thing shop manager Katie wearing a Neat Frontage sweatshirt


The second item purchased on the night, was an amazing jumpsuit by London bodywear designers Manners, I loved the monochrome print straight away and then I noticed Joh, was wearing the amazing item. It looked amaze on her and since we are similar sizes, I just had to try it on!
Manners do say that there is magic in the fabric and I believe them, this catsuit was the most comfortable and durable jersey ever, it was soft and nipped you in, in all the right places! Sold to the woman with the pink hair!

Twinning with That Thing's Joh rindom in Manners jumpsuits - Photograph courtesy of Dulcie Horn

The gorgeous, blogger and Dulcie's Feathers designer Dulcie Horn managed to catch Joh and I twinning in our fabulous Manners jumpsuits!! Dulcie is always such fun at any event she attends, she wrote a little blog about the night too. Check out Dulcie's blog The Festival Life

The fabulous Dulcie Horn (left) and an amazing festival headdress.


It was a night of meeting old friends, making new friends, talking fashion, showering myself with amazing garms made by brilliant independent designers. I love Bristol!

Read more about That thing in my Bristol 24/7 article Do the right thing






All photography by No Debutante except Twinning photographs courtesy of Dulcie Horn

If you are having a fashion event, a new collection or fun event you would like No Debutante to promote please get in touch!

No Debutante promotes fashion independents, new designers & sustainable fashion. 

Check out my work with Bristol 24/7 magazine under my name 
Emma Gorton-Ellicott

If you are interested in collaborating with No Debutante or getting featured on the No Debutante blog please contact me nodebutanteblog@gmail.com

Keep up with No Debutantes OOTD posts, collabs and current fashion obsessions posted daily on all of the following. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest all under the #nodebutante name. 

Thanks for checking in Fashionistas
ND xx


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...