A colourful fashion blog supporting independents & sustainable fashion in Bristol and beyond since 2011

Tuesday 13 March 2018

My IWD18 Diary

Phew! What an amazing week! 

Having just attended no less than three events for International Women's Day over three days, followed by Mothers Day (National Women's Day) I am feeling both exhausted & empowered! 


DeskLodge Team IWD18


The first event saw a strong group of women celebrating IWD at DeskLodge, a very successful event, that featured women who either use the DeskLodge coworking spaces and offices as a base to run their amazing companies from female law firms & tech companies to influential women, who were invited to join us, share their skills & experiences as sustainable eco-warriors, female events collectives & of course, the female empowerment group, SisterWorks! 


DeskLodge IWD18 Talks including SisterWorks, Kecks Clothing, Concrete Jungyals & Womens Tech Hub 


This was no corporate event, all the women told inspiring stories on how they got to where they are now, baring all the struggles they faced and the determination to carry on to get where they are today. It was so heart-felt and inspirational, I am really proud of them all and let's add a little self-love here, I am proud of what I achieved too, bringing all of these wonderful women together! Needless to say I had a large glass of wine or two that evening to celebrate! 


Print clashes for the SisterWorks club night



The second event was the SisterWorks Club Night on the Friday, where we promote the talents & skills of local female DJs & women in music. We are so proud to have so many fabulous female DJs on our books at SisterWorks, that we have been able to have lots of different female DJs play at each event. The IWD club night featured a dub set, followed by grime set into a DJ & singer/ rapper female double act, then into house & techno beats. We had a blast! In true Kathleen Hanna style I found myself encouraging girls to the front to dance, enjoy the DJs & feel part of the SisterWorks vibe, in a safe space run by girls. Of course, we love men too so they were most welcome & really supportive. What a fantastic night! 


Female DJs at the SisterWorks Club Night 


By the third event, on the Saturday evening, I was a little washed out but it was all about feeling empowered & representing females in music & the SisterWorks DJs! Myself & Lua Jones (SisterWorks founder & Dutty Girl DJ, Diss Miss), played a mixed set of riot grrrl, punk, alternative 80s & electro (obviously my set) & super-cool soul, funk & hip hop from Diss Miss. We were celebrating the launch of the Bristol brewery Wiper & True's XX beer, which was created & brewed by women. This beer had a strong kick, there was nothing feminine about it, which was great! There were so many people supporting the XX Beer, it was a great event! I banged into mum's from my kid's school & my old partner in crime from Venue Magazine, Ruth joined me for some late night drinks & chats about how great women are!



SisterWorks Djs at the Wiper & True XX beer launch


I think that I actually celebrated 4 days of IWD this year, as there was no better way to celebrate how amazing women are then with Mothers Day! My kids showered me with gifts including amazing pom-pom & perspex earrings from Mango Tango Jewellery (another amazing Bristol based designer), The Breeders latest album on vinyl (of course) & a lovely big bottle of Sailor Jerry's rum! I was truly spoilt again! Feeling rather sorry for myself & my rather hungover visit to the hair salon to get my hair did by girl boss Vikki Mac, it was then off to meet my wonderful Mother & celebrate Mothers Day with the Fam! IWD18 ended with pizza, wine & a family film night watching La La Land (which I actually loved!). 



Mothers Day pampering and new hair! 

Mothers Day gifts!


Thank you to all the amazing women who made IWD18 so great for me, from everyone who shared the love at the DeskLodge talks, DJ'd & helped out at the SisterWorks Club night, to old & new friends, the inspiring women who created the XX Beer at Wiper & True & finally to my family for making the perfect ending! 

Women are still fighting for their rights to be heard 100 years after the suffragettes won the right to vote! Equality is what we want, not world domination! They say 2018 is the year of the woman, let's hope so.

#wherearethewomen


Three generations of strong females and below the equally strong men in my life! 








All photography by No Debutante

If you are having a fashion event, a new collection or fun event you would like No Debutante to promote please get in touch!

No Debutante promotes fashion independents, new designers & sustainable fashion. 

Check out my work with Bristol 24/7 magazine here under my name 
Emma Gorton-Ellicott

If you are interested in collaborating with No Debutante or getting featured on the No Debutante blog please contact me nodebutanteblog@gmail.com

Keep up with No Debutantes OOTD posts, collabs and current fashion obsessions posted daily on all of the following. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest all under the #nodebutante name. 

Thanks for checking in Fashionistas
ND xx 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...